Arrowroot is a starch obtained from the rhizomes rootstock of several tropical plants. Natural Arrowroot Powder is a white, flavorless powder used to thicken sauces, soups, and other foods. Arrowroot powder is twice the thickening power of wheat flour and, because it contains no protein, is gluten free. Arrowroot powder creates a perfectly clear gel and does not break down when combined with acidic ingredients. It is also used as a primary ingredient in infant cookies, where its digestibility makes it an excellent alternative to flour. Arrowroot tubers contain about 23% starch. They are first washed, and then cleaned of the paper-like scale.
Tierra Overseas is manufacturer and supplier of Natural Arrowroot Powder.
Culinary Use of Arrowroot Powder
- Arrowroot Powder is an excellent source for thickening fruit gels and fruit sauces, like cranberry sauce, or acidic sauces like sweet and sour sauce.
- Arrowroot Powder can be consumed in the form of biscuits, puddings, jellies, cakes, hot sauces, and also with beef tea, milk or veal broth.
- Arrowroot powder can be used in noodles in Korean and Vietnamese cuisine.
- Arrowroot makes clear, shimmering fruit gels and prevents ice crystals from forming in homemade ice cream.
- The lack of gluten in arrowroot flour makes it useful as a replacement for wheat flour in some baking uses.
- Arrowroot is sometimes used interchangeably with corn starch.
Health Benefits of Arrowroot Powder
- Arrowroot powder relatively contains more protein than that of other tropical food sources like yam, potato, cassava and plantains.
- Arrowroots indeed are good source of folates. 100 g arrowroot provides 338 µg or 84% of daily required levels of folates.
- Arrowroot powder helps during pregnancy may help prevent neural-tube defects and other congenital malformations in the offspring.
- Arrowroot contains very good levels of B-complex group of vitamins such as niacin, thiamin, pyridoxine, pantothenic acid and riboflavin. Many of these vitamins take part as substrates for enzymes in carbohydrate, protein, and fat metabolism in the body.
- Arrowroot Powder contains moderate levels of some important minerals like copper, iron, manganese, phosphorous, magnesium, and zinc.